How to build your Google Oauth in a few minutes ? | Ideta
Google has become unavoidable over the past few years.
There are so many Google Services over so many areas that it has become unavoidable. I can name for example Google Login, Google Docs, Youtube, Firebase, Google Cloud etc.
And when you do develop software, you will need to connect to Google Services.
To do that you will need to use the Google OAuth 2.0 flow. This allows you to interact with Google Services in the name of your customers. You will get access information that allows you to perform actions in the name of your customers.
You have used this Google OAUth very often as a customer. For example, the “Sign-in with Google” button.
You have already selected your account.
and selected the authorizations you want to give to third parties.
Building this whole process can be done in a few minutes with no code.
Step 1 : Get a redirect URI
- Google will need a redirect URL to send the connection data.
- To create this URL, you can create an account for free on the Ideta App .
- Then click on “I create my webhook”:
- Then rename your webhook to your convenience to find it more easily later :
- Then select the “Google OAuth 2.0 (Youtube)” template that is already setup to make starting up easier. Then click “Continue”.
- As your first webhook is created automatically, you can copy the URI. This is the redirect URL you will need in Step 3.
Step 2 : Create an application in Google Cloud Console.
In order for you to get your application credentials, you will need to login to Google Cloud :
- Create a new project :
- Once created, search for OAuth Credentials :
- Give the information required by Google. You can change it later. Make sure to add at least yourself as a “Test User” or it will not work.
- Then, go to Credentials :
- and create new Credentials for OAuth:
- Make sure to register the redirect URL you got from Step 1 in Authorized redirect URIs :
- Be sure to save the info provided (client id and secret) somewhere safe. You will need them in Step 3.
Step 3 : Connect Google to Ideta
- Now, you just need to copy the data you got from Step 2.
- That’s it !
Step 4 : Create the OAuth Link
- The OAuth link is the link users will click on to start the Google Oauth flow.
- The official documentation can be found here in this documentation:
- Here is the link 👇: Oauth2
- The whole list of available scopes can be found in the Oauth protocols documentation.
- You can ask for multiple scopes. A space must separate them.
Step 5 : Use the data
- Now, after clicking on the link from step 3 and going through the whole Google OAuth process, you can go to the History Section of your webhook created in Step 1.
- The access token you will need to perform API calls will be available for further use. The first time you connect, you will also get a refresh token.
- The refresh token will be useful when the access token expires. Make sure to store it safely in order to use it later.
Here is the official documentation.
I invite you to check that demo video that shows you how to change the workflow in order for you to store the data in your database or make an API call in order to fetch data or more.