Sentiment Analysis on Social Media | IDETA
What Is Sentiment Analysis?
Sentiment Analysis is also called opinion mining. It is a natural language processing (NLP) technique. The technique is used to determine whether a set of data is positive, negative, or neutral. Because of its abilities and properties, many use sentiment analysis on social media. But more on that later.
Sentiment Analysis can help individuals and businesses do a wide range of tasks. Some of them include monitoring how customers feel about a certain product or service, analyzing customer feedback, and more. Typically, individuals and businesses use Sentiment Analysis to find out if the feedback that they get from others is positive, negative, or neutral. Also, most use it to analyze written (textual) data.
You can use Sentiment Analysis to analyze customer feedback easily, without having to read each comment or review yourself. So, you will find out what people think about your product without having to do all the work by hand. With a Sentiment Analysis program, you will be able to automate many tasks and save time. Thus, you will be able to focus on other things and tasks while letting the program do its thing.
There are a few types of Sentiment Analysis you can use.
Graded Sentiment Analysis
Graded Sentiment Analysis includes a wider range of emotions that you can use to rank customer feedback. Namely, Graded Sentiment Analysis uses five levels of positive and negative when grading data. Those levels include "Very Positive," "Positive," "Neutral," "Negative," and "Very Negative." This type of Sentiment Analysis can come in handy if you want to analyze data more precisely. Also, you can use it to interpret and analyze five-star ratings in product and service reviews. For example, if your product has a five-star rating, that means that the review is "Very Positive." On the other hand, if someone gives your product a three-star rating, that means that the review is "Neutral."
Emotion Detection is another type of Sentiment Analysis that you can use. With Emotion Detection, you can detect feelings like anger, happiness, sadness, and frustration. So, this type of Sentiment Analysis goes a step further. In other words, it helps you to find out what kind of emotions your customers are feeling.
Aspect-Based Sentiment Analysis
With Aspect-Based Sentiment Analysis, you can analyze reviews, comments, and other types of data. By doing so, you can find out which specific aspects people are talking about in those reviews and comments. In other words, it helps you learn which feature a customer is talking about in their review or comment. For example, if a customer writes a review like "The battery life on my phone is bad," your Sentiment Analysis program will know that the customer has left a negative review about your product's battery.
Why Use Social Media Sentiment Analysis?
If you want to know what people think about you, your product, or your service, then you can definitely benefit from Social Media Sentiment Analysis. By creating a Sentiment Analysis program, you will be able to find out what your customers think, what they like, dislike, and more. Let's explore why you should use Sentiment Analysis a bit further.
- Sentiment Analysis can help you understand your customers. With a Sentiment Analysis program, you can get detailed reports that have information on what your customers think about your products. Also, the program can arrange its reports and make them more simple and easy to understand. That way, you will be able to get a detailed look into the overall emotions and opinions of your customers. What's best, you won't have to go through their reviews and comments one by one.
- You will get useful data. A Sentiment Analysis program can gather important data from all of your social media channels and organize it in a productive way. With that data, you can see how your brand is performing and is received by different people.
- You can improve your customer relationships. With Social Media Sentiment Analysis, you will know when and how to communicate with customers. In other words, you will know how to respond and engage your customers better. All of that will help you improve your company's reputation and image.
- You can find out what your customer's preferences are. A Sentiment Analysis program can analyze how people react to different types of content. For example, it can tell you if people like watching videos or looking at pictures of your products more. That way, you can change your content to fit your customers' preferences.
How to Implement a Sentiment Analysis on Your Social Media?
Implementing a Sentiment Analysis on your Social Media channels consists of a few steps. In this section of the article, we will guide you through those steps and help you learn how to do them yourself. So, let's get started.
1. Collect data. The first step in implementing Sentiment Analysis is collecting data from your social media accounts. You can collect data by using different tools. However, if you don't have the money to invest in such tools, you can do it yourself. You can collect data by monitoring your mentions on social media. That will help you see what people are saying about you. You can monitor posts that people tag you in, hashtags, and stories. Also, on Twitter, you can use keywords to see what people are saying about you.
2. Analyze the words that people use in your mentions. As we mentioned, a Sentiment Analysis program can help you see if people have positive, neutral, or negative feelings about your products. If you want to find out if they are mostly positive or negative, you need to create positive and negative terms for your program. In other words, you need to tell it which words are positive and which are negative. For example, positive words can include love, like, amazing, best, ideal, etc. On the other hand, negative words can include hate, bad, dislike, awful, worst, etc.
3. Create a report. Now that you have gathered all the data and set the parameters that your program needs, you need to create a report. You can create a report by analyzing your data. The report can contain all kinds of metrics. Some metrics can include:
- Total engagements;
- Total mentions;
- Number of positive mentions;
- Number of negative mentions;
- And more.
5 Examples of Sentiment Analysis on Social Media Tools
Implementing a Sentiment Analysis by yourself can be time-consuming. However, there are multiple Sentiment Analysis tools that can help you save time. So, in the next section of the article, we will cover some of them. Let's begin!
The first Sentiment Analysis tool on our list is called "Hootsuite Insights." Hootsuite Insights is a tool that can help you manage your social media data. You can use this tool to monitor your social media automatically. That way, you will save time because you won't have to do everything by hand. Also, with this tool, you can find out which words people use the most to describe your brand. That way, you will know if most people have positive or negative opinions about your brand.
Hootsuite Insights can also help you track specific emotions, like joy, anger, etc. Furthermore, the tool will send you notifications if it realizes that the overall sentiment and opinions of your customers change. That way, you will be able to deal with many issues before they spiral out of control.
Mentionlytics is a social media monitoring tool. You can use it for your Sentiment Analysis program and for many other tasks. Some of the features that you will get from this tool include:
- Social Media insights;
- Personalized advice on how to improve your online presence;
- Information on what people are saying about your company and products;
- Social Media reports;
- And more.
This tool also has a feature that can analyze content in different languages. So, if you have an international audience and want to understand what they're saying, this tool can help you with that. It is ideal for global companies that are present worldwide.
"Social Mention" is an analysis tool that is free to use. It can help you analyze your social media data. Also, you won't have to download any software or make an account to use this tool. What you will need to do to use this tool is the following:
1. Go to its website;
2. Search for a keyword that you want to analyze.
For example, you can search for your company's name or your product's name. After that, "Social Mention" will provide you with data about the keyword from every social media platform. So, it will get data from Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Also, it will compile the data into a summary. That way, you will be able to understand the data and go through it faster.
Talkwalker is another excellent Sentiment Analysis tool. You can use it to understand your customers better. This tool can tell you how people feel about your content on social media channels and their content. It can do so by analyzing all the important data from your social media. Data like your mentions, engagements, comments, etc.
Also, it will give you a detailed report on how customers feel about your content. Namely, it will tell you if they like it or not. That way, you will know if you need to improve your content. Also, you will know how to improve and make the most out of it.
Digimind is a Sentiment Analysis tool that can help you analyze what people say about you and your competitors. So, it can help you learn if people like your products more than your competitors' products.
Digimind gathers data from more than 850 million websites and other sources. That way, you will get a complete look at what everyone is saying about you from all corners of the Internet. With this tool, you can also apply different filters and customize your program even more.
How to Use Data/ Insights From Sentiment Analysis on Social Media?
Sentiment Analysis can give you a large amount of data that you can use to improve your business. You can use the data from your Sentiment Analysis in many ways.
One way you can use it is to improve your social media strategy. Namely, you can change your content and what you post on social media according to the information that your Sentiment Analysis gives you. In other words, you can post more videos or share tips if your analysis shows you that that is what your followers like. That way, you can improve your content greatly!
Also, you can use the data from your analysis to attract new customers. Namely, you can find people that would like what you sell and target them. That way, they will learn about your products and start buying them. Furthermore, you can learn what your target audience likes and create events or products according to that.